Since the launch of Pebble, the first smartwatch, a lot of technological advancements have been made in the area of making smartwatches with amazing features. Smartwatches now help you to monitor your health and fitness levels these days. Smartwatches can be used to track heart rate, speed, distance covered when running or jogging, amount of calories burnt, etc.
All these features make smartwatches proactive health and fitness monitors. Of course, you can receive calls and messages too. Smartwatches are revolutionary just like smartphones. They now come waterproof and water-resistant. With numerous brands in the market, it can be very difficult to choose the right waterproof smartwatch that meets your needs. Don’t worry! This review is made to help you make an informed choice.
Here is best waterproof smartwatch 2019. This waterproof smartwatch review will help you to make an informed choice.
A smartwatch is a necessity if you crave for fitness. It will help to track form and performance. With too many brands in the market, it is difficult to choose the right smartwatch that suits your needs. Here are the quick takes if you are looking forward to buying a smartwatch.
1. Ensure that the watch is compatible with your phone. Apple iOS smartwatches are not compatible with Android phones but many other brands’ smartwatches are compatible with Android and iOS phones.
2. Go for a smartwatch with a heart rate sensor and GPS for effective tracking of your sporting activity
3. Look out for battery life. A smartwatch that can go 5 days on a single charge and 2 days on GPS is highly recommended
4. The smartwatch band should be replaceable in case one gets spoilt
5. Ensure it has backlight for easy readability
6. There must be support for at least two of these: Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, GPS and GLONASS.
7. Ensure it supports notifications, text messages and calls.
8. NFC is important in case you want to use the watch to make payment
9. If you love music, make sure it is a watch that you can download music directly into it.
10. Understand that waterproof and water-resistant are not the same. Waterproof can only resist water splash or sweat while water-resistant means it can withstand water when swimming.
If you are looking for a health and fitness smartwatch, the Apple Series 4 is a watch to consider. It comes with amazing health features such as heart rate monitoring. The ECG feature sends you a notification when your heart rate is low or high. There is also a fall detection feature. If you fall, a notification is sent to your relative. This is not set by default. For runners, there are pace alerts. Receive phone calls and messages with ease.
There is Apple Music and Podcasts. Apple Music is a subscription-based service. When it comes to design, there is no doubt this is an appealing watch but if you are thinking of having a workout with this watch, it makes sense to buy the stainless steel version because it is more resistant and more sturdy than the wristband version.
· Fall detection – When this feature is activated, it notifies your relatives when you fall. It is not available by default except you are well above the age of 65
· Fast – The smartwatch is fast and responsive to every touch as far as it is not internet related
· Electrocardiogram (ECG) – The ECG app monitors heart rate effectively. It is only available if you are 25 years old and above
· Extra screen size – The screen size is now a bit bigger compared to the screen of Apple Series 3· Improved battery life – It has an enhanced battery life that can last more than a day with a single charge
The Series 3 is a replacement of Series 2. Series 2 was Apple's flagship smartwatch for health and fitness. There are two versions of the Series 3. One comes with GPS; the other has onboard cellular connectivity. It runs on the WatchOS 5 software. Using OLED technology, the screen is vivid and bright. It is available in 38mm and 42mm sizes. It has a barometric altimeter feature that helps to track activities, outdoor workout and exercise, flights of stairs climbed, etc.
One plausible feature is the 4G connectivity which allows you to step out without having your iPhone in case you want to go for a run. The 4G LTE kick in immediately you move away from the phone. The connectivity can be used to receive messages, calls, stream Apple Music, view Maps and listen to podcasts. It is water-resistant up to 50 metres.
· GPS - The GPS connectivity allows you to stay connected to your iPhone as far as you are within 50 feet from your phone.
· Water-resistant - The smartwatch is water-resistant up to 50 metres making it ideal for shallow-water activities such as swimming in a pool.
· Optical heart sensor - The optical heart sensor helps to monitor heart rate.
· iTunes music download - It is compatible with the computer so you can download iTunes music into the watch· Longer battery life - The battery can last close to two days with a single charge.
The Samsung Galaxy Smartwatch is a great alternative to Apple Smartwatch. It comes with AMOLED display with 4GB storage and 768MB RAM. It runs on Samsung's Tizen operating system. When it comes to its design, it beats the Apple Series 4 hands down. It has an improved fitness tracking.
One outstanding feature is that this Smartwatch is compatible with Android and iOS smartphones through Bluetooth connection allowing you to receive notifications; including news and sports updates. It is water-resistant up to 50 metres but should not be used for scuba diving. When it comes to health and fitness, the Smartwatch is amazing. It has stress management tracker, tracks heart rate and the sleep monitor tracks all sleep patterns.
It also monitors exercises such as running, walking, cycling, rowing, etc. It counts calories through the Bixby app. It tracks the water you drink and food you eat. This is an intelligent Smartwatch. For personalization, there are hundreds of watch face to choose from to customize the watch. It supports offline music when you are disconnected from your phone. This is more than a watch, it is a timepiece.
· Long battery life - The long battery life allows you to stay longer for up to four days on a single charge. The wireless charger charges the watch without slowing down the operation of the watch
· Health and activity tracking - The Smartwatch monitors heart rate and detects when you switch activities. It tracks six select workouts. It monitors sleep levels and counts calories. There is also breathing exercise for stress management
· Scratch-resistant - The Corning Gorilla Glass DX+ prevents the glass from being scratched. It is water-resistant up to 50 metres.
· Software compatibility - It is compatible with Android and iOS smartphone software
· Great design - The Smartwatch has good looks. The screen is big enough to see apps
The Gear Sport Smartwatch is a fitness tracking smartwatch. The fitness data synchronizes well with the Samsung S Health app. It works well with compatible iOS and Android smartphones. It comes with swim track feature and can withstand being submerged up to 50 metres. There is auto-detection for swimming and running. The body of the watch is made of stainless steel with a rotating bezel. It has a nice OLED touchscreen display with bright colour and high resolution.
It features a heart sensor for monitoring of heart rate but you don't have to expect 100% accuracy. The standard strap of the watch is 20mm and it is very light and comfortable. You can download music from Spotify and listen to music through Bluetooth. You can listen to music offline too. The S Voice digital assistant is a flop. It is slow and erratic making voice control difficult. It is easy to make payment with the smartwatch using the Samsung Pay. With 4GB of space, you can have enough of music.
You can listen to music offline with Spotify after paying for a subscription. For workouts, the smartwatch has a virtual coach to help you out. It has a poor battery life when used in GPS mode but it can last 4 days without playing music and GPS. Overall, it is a timepiece perfect for fitness purposes.
· Accurate fitness tracking - You get accurate fitness tracking for running, swimming, biking, yoga, etc.
· Heart sensor - The heart sensor monitors your heart rate including stress levels
· Make payment - Payment can be made with the watch using the Samsung Pay.
· Smartphone compatibility - The smartwatch is compatible with iOS and Android phones for easy pairing with the watch.
· Notifications & calls - Check updates, receive calls and reply texts with ease using Wi-Fi.
The Vivoactive is a sleek and lightweight smartwatch. This is a multisport smartwatch for people who want to live an active life. The watch monitors activities such as swimming, running yoga, bike riding, etc. It is the right playmate for you if you are a fitness-conscious person. It also monitors heart rate and stress levels. This is a perfect fitness and health watch.
The smartwatch has GPS and GLONASS positional radio, compass, thermometer, accelerometer and a barometric altimeter. The watch is water-resistant up to 50 metres. The screen is made of Gorilla Glass 3 making it scratch-resistant. The LCD is 1.2-inch with 240 x 240 resolution. There is a Side Swipe interface for quick scrolling on the screen and easy navigation of menus. The battery life is perfect and can last up to 5 days and more than 10 hours on GPS mode.
· Longer battery life – You can go for days with the extended battery life. The battery is good and lasting up to 13 hours on GPS mode
· Sports tracking – The watch provides metrics for different sports activities such as running, swimming, biking, etc. Metrics like pace and distance are provided for effective monitoring
· GPS – The GPS may not be 100% accurate but the data is in line with other GPS.
· Phone notifications – You can receive notifications on the smartwatch. You can see who is calling and texting you. When someone is calling, you can pick up the phone call from the watch. The watch must be paired with the phone to receive calls and messages.
· Garmin pay – Making payment with your card using the smartwatch is easy with Garmin Pay.
The Fitbit Versa is feature-rich smartwatch and much cheaper compared with other expensive brands. The smartwatch is made to meet your health and fitness goals. There is tracking mode for swimming, weightlifting and cycling with different metrics. All of these can be seen by swiping left and right. It features activity, sleep and heart rate tracking to monitor your health and fitness progress. Worthy of note is the SpO2 sensor which estimates the amount of oxygen in the body. It has a Run Detection feature which stops tracking when you stop running or swimming and starts again immediately you start the activity.
PurePulse technology does the job of monitoring blood flow. It is water-resistant up to 50 metres and has a battery life of up to four days. There is Fitbit Pay for easy payment with the smartwatch. You can receive calls and reply texts if your Android phone is nearby. This is the best waterproof smartwatch for Android. Of course, it supports GPS through the phone to monitor your pace and distance in real-time when running. You can store and play more than 300 songs. The smartwatch is available in silver, black and rose gold. The watch is comfortable and ultra-lightweight. The display is bright and colourful with 300 x 300 resolution. It is touchscreen making it very user-friendly. In summary, this is a must-have smartwatch for fitness and health-conscious people.
· Activity & sleep tracking - The smartwatch effectively monitors activities such as swimming, running, cycling and weightlifting with accurate metrics. It does sleep tracking too.
· Water-resistant - The watch is made to swim-tract and can go up to 50 metres making it ideal for swimming in the pool
· Battery life - You can go for days without needing to charge the watch. A single charge can go up to four days.
· Notifications - You can receive alerts, pick up calls and return text messages with ease. Get sports, news and weather updates when your phone is close to you.
· Fitbit Pay - With Fitbit Pay, there are no problems with making payments.
The Garmin Forerunner 235 is a unique smartwatch in terms of build. One thing that stands out is the wrist-based heart rate monitoring. You can also use a chest strap for heart rate monitoring. There is Resting Heart Tracking when you are inactive. Activity tracking includes daily steps, distance, calories and sleep. The VO2 Max measure the amount of oxygen. It has four sport modes – Run, Run Indoor, Cycle and others. You can customize two data screens to personalize your preferred displays. The watch is made for runners who are interested in performance.
Some of the features include notifications, Bluetooth connection; connect IQ weather forecasts, clock face screens, resting heart rate and activity tracker. Pair the watch with compatible iOS and Android devices to receive notifications, voice prompts and connect to Garmin Connect.
The smartwatch is water-resistant and can go up to 50 metres. When it comes to design and the display, the watch is available in different colour combinations. There is black and red, black and grey, then, black and frost blue. It has a 1.23-inch screen but this is not a touchscreen. There are five side buttons for ease of navigation. It has a comfortable strap made of silicon. The battery life is superb. It can last up to 6 days with a single charge and 2 days when used with GPS.
· Activity tracking – The watch can count steps, calories and distance. There is a vibration alert notifying you to move if you sit for too long
· Smart notifications – You receive notifications such as call, text, email, social media, etc.
· VO2 Max Estimate – This helps to estimate the maximum amount of oxygen that can be used during any activities
· Long battery life – You can go for up to 6 days with a single charge while on GPS, it can serve you for close to 2 days
· Garmin Connect app – For challenging runs, training plans and more advanced workouts, the Garmin Connect app will make a good fitness partner
The Fenix 5X Sapphire is a multisport GPS smartwatch. Design-wise, the watch has the usual round face with a five-button layout. It comes with a stainless steel bezel for durability. It is water-resistant up to 100 metres deep. It features a high resolution of 240 X 240 pixels, full-colour Garmin Chroma Display with LED backlighting for enhanced readability no matter the environment. The optical heart rate monitor is situated at the back.
When it comes to activity tracking, there are already installed apps for swimming, running, hiking, snowboarding, skiing, rowing and golfing. The Fenix 5X Sapphire provide advanced performance metrics to monitor your performance. The ANT+ can be paired with different sensors such as cadence sensors, temperature sensors, cycling power meters and running dynamics pods. You can receive notifications and text messages only if the watch is paired with compatible iOS and Android smartphones.
It also features Garmin Connect IQ where you can download other apps to extend the features and functionalities of the smartwatch. There are GPS and GLONASS tracking in more difficult areas where GPS alone cannot deliver. It is scratch-resistant due to its sapphire lens. There is a VO2 to estimate the amount of oxygen.
· Easy readability - The high resolution, bright Garmin Chroma Display with LED backlighting makes reading from the screen super easy no matter the condition of where you are.
· Wrist-based heart rate - The innovative Elevate wrist heart rate technology allows your heart rate to be monitored from the wrist instead of wearing a chest strap. The heart rate monitoring also helps in gathering information concerning the number of calories burnt.
· Performance metrics - The smartwatch is full of features to effectively monitor performance with different activities. The VO2 helps to provide data for running speed, beats per minute, the variability of the heart rate and the amount of oxygen consumed per minute.
· Custom apps and free watch faces - Extend the features of the smartwatch by downloading free apps from the Connect IQ store. You can also change watch faces with ease.
· Amazing battery life - Though, the battery life isn't the best lasting about two days on GPS but it can last up to six days on a single charge without GPS.
There is no doubt the Galaxy Watch Active looks aesthetically beautiful and appealing. It is made of aluminium for durability. The 40mm strap is cool and comfortable. It is extremely lightweight. There is a rotating bezel for interface navigation. The touchscreen display is bright enough at 360 X 360 resolution. This is a smartwatch that helps you to stay fit with great fitness tracking features. It has a built-in GPS to track you when you are running without having your phone near you.
When you are running, the GPS is active to show you stats like the heart rate, calories, pace and distance. The heart rate sensor for heart rate tracking is at the back. It also comes with barometric altimeter for the monitoring of flight of stairs. The watch senses when you stop running and pauses immediately. It continues its job of tracking when you start running again. To extract all the data, you have to check the Samsung Health app. This is a water-resistant smartwatch of up to 50 metres deep.
If you are a music lover, you can download a lot of music to fill up a 4GB space so you can carry your favourite songs everywhere you go as far as there is iOS and Android smartphone compatible. The smartwatch has Bixby digital assistant for voice command but it is not dependable. Payment is made easy with the Samsung Pay. The watch receives notifications. You can reply text messages, WhatsApp messages and receive calls. The battery is just below average. With just 230mAh, the battery can barely last two days on a single charge. It lasts less than 4 hours on GPS. It uses a charger pad; not made for USB charging.
· Activity tracking – It effectively tracks up to seven exercises like running, swimming, cycling, hiking, golf, etc. It also tracks 39 more exercises.
· Helps you to rest better – The watch helps to analyze your sleep patterns and advises you to take some rest to keep you refreshed
· Lightweight and durable – The watch is ultra-thin and lightweight with a durable swim-ready design that is appealing.
· Music download – With 4GB space, you can download enough music into the smartwatch.
· Scratch-resistant – The watch is made with Gorilla Glass to prevent scratching making it scratch-resistant.
The Garmin Fenix 5 Plus is arguably the best multisport smartwatch. It is made for athletes and outdoor adventurers. The watch is made rugged for durability. For easy readability, the watch has a bright with high resolution and full colour LED display and backlighting. Apart from being a sporty watch, it is also suited for regular use. It features activity tracking, sleep tracking, Garmin Pay, stress monitoring, music, steps, flight climbed, etc. For sports tracking, the smartwatch takes care of running, swimming, cycling, hiking, climbing, skiing and golf.
Treadmill running, trail and road have their dedicated sports modes. You can easily retrieve stats like heart rate, pace, speed, power, vertical speed with a few swipes. The Fenix 5 Plus supports GPS and GLONASS for comprehensive tracking while running. These connectivity systems are reliable. You can make payment by activating your card on the watch using Garmin Pay. The watch is also ideal for music lovers as you can download and listen to more 500 songs directly from the timepiece. You can transfer music from the computer to the watch with ease or listen through compatible headphones. There is support for smart notifications, texts, emails and alerts on the watch if the watch is paired with compatible smartphones of Android and iOS operating systems.
· Wrist-based heart rate – Heart rate monitoring is done from the wrist with the Elevate wrist heart rate technology meaning there is no need for wearing a chest strap. It also tracks calories burnt
· Advanced performance metrics – You get metrics stats to know your performance and form during workouts and exercises. There are physiological metrics and running dynamics.
· Built-in navigational sensors – The watch supports multi-network. It has GPS, GLONASS, gyroscope, 3-axis compass and Galileo. The multi-network satellite reception is capable of tracking when you are running in a difficult and challenging environment
· Battery life – The battery can last up to 4 days without GPS and music
· Music downloads – You can store and play up to 500 songs directly from the smartwatch or connect to Bluetooth headphones to listen to music without your phone
You can go wrong with a smartwatch if you are an athlete. Even if you are not an athlete but interested in getting fit, a smartwatch will help you in no small ways. This is why we recommend Garmin Fenix 5X Sapphire or Garmin Fenix 5 Plus. If you are an Apple product, you can go for Apple Series 4 or Apple Watch Series 3. If you are looking for a smartwatch that can meet your needs without being expensive, we recommend the Fitbit Versa Smartwatch which is the best cheap waterproof smartwatch in our list. Any of these wristwatches will help to improve performance and form.